The Side Switch
The side switch can be used to either lock the screen orientation or to mute some of the iPad's sounds and alerts. The side switch is located on the right side panel of your iPad as shown in the image below:
Rotation Lock: While Screen Rotation Lock is enabled, the display remains in landscape or portrait mode, depending which way you locked it, regardless of how iPad is held.
Mute: When you mute your iPad, alerts and notifications do not make a sound.
Changing The Function Of The iPad's Side Switch
Step 1: Enter Settings
Click the Settings app from the home screen of your iPad
Step 2: Select the "General" tab
Then select either "Lock Rotation" or "Mute" under the section labeled "USE SIDE SWITCH TO" as shown in the image below. This will enable the side switch to be used to lock the screen rotation or mute the iPad depending on your preference.
Enabling Rotation Lock From Control Center
You can also enable rotation lock from any screen by using the control center. To enable rotation lock from the control center follow these steps:
1. Rotate iPad so the display is in the desired orientation.
2. Swipe up along the bottom of the screen to display Control Center (you can do this from any screen, including the Lock screen).
3. Tap the Screen Rotation Lock button.
4. The Screen Rotation Lock button will appear highlighted.
Enabling Mute From Control Center
You can also mute your device from any screen by using the control center. To mute your device from the control center follow these steps:
1. Swipe up along the bottom of the screen to display Control Center (you can do this from any screen, including the Lock screen).
2. Tap the Mute button.
The Mute button will appear highlighted.